« A Cash Cow | Main | Shaolin Soccer/MPAA rant »

August 05, 2003
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE

OK, I'm probably as skeptical as anyone about the chances that this will be worth seeing. Contemporary teen horror tends not to be a particularly challenging or frightening genre, and the cast here looks bland-o-rama. But I'm mildly intrigued by the fact that Daniel Pearl, who shot the original, has returned to his D.P. duties this time around, ensuring at least that some vestigial memory of the amazing achievement that was Texas Chain Saw may influence the atmosphere of the new one in meaningful ways. But really, I'm hoping that the folks who edited the trailer have something to do with the film proper, because it works pretty well. Halfway through, when the screen went completely dark and the cast starts to sound increasingly panicked, I got myself some goosebumps. The ensuing chainsaw-fueled chase scenes don't quite feel like old times, but they do pay the proper homage and they don't seem to be played for laughs. All hail the return of the serious American horror movie, maybe.

Posted by Bryant Frazer at August 5, 2003 10:30 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

who is the real texas chainsaw massacre? Is this a true story? If it is who is the killer.

Posted by: Sonny Tso at January 19, 2004 04:12 AM

the real texas chainsaw massacre is ED GEIN...
it is a true story

Posted by: emma at April 17, 2004 07:36 AM

She's right. The real killer if Ed Gein, he murdered two women, then digged up the rest of the people from the graveyards. It is a quite sickening story. Its crazy! He made cloths, purses, anything you can think of, out of real human skin. Mostly of women, he then made his own women suit! Made out of they dead women's skin!

Posted by: Mickey at April 25, 2004 01:12 AM

If this is based on Ed Gein of Wisconsin then why is it told to have taken place in Texas. Why not in Wisconsin? And why Van Zandt or Travis County? There are dozens of counties in Texas, so why is the story based on those two?

Posted by: raymond at May 3, 2004 08:43 AM

Well, here's the deal: the original movie was based very loosely on the Ed Gein story, which was a horrifying true-crime yarn that Tobe Hooper was familiar with back in the day. But the key word is loosely. Ed Gein was just the inspiration for Leatherface and the other characters in the movie; the actual events you see depicted never actually happened, despite the film's claims of being based on a true story.

There's more information at Snopes, which is a fascinating resource for this stuff.

For more information on the real Ed Gein, Harold Schechter has this great true crime book on the subject called Deviant. I recommend it to those with an interest in it and the stomach for it.

Posted by: Bryant at May 3, 2004 10:39 AM

IF U WOULD LISTEN THOMAS HEWITT WAS THE KILLER IN EITHER FULLER OR FOULER TEXAS everyone in the town was his family thats why they did not care about it

Posted by: mchael at June 22, 2004 06:55 AM

all of this happened in Wisconsin.Ed Gein shot two teenage girls with a pistol and hung one of them.Later he was aressted for murder.

Posted by: Roger at June 26, 2004 03:20 AM

hi im thirteen and i belive in the story and i find it very disturbing that someone could do that to women. I really think that someone out there should make a site with all information so evryone can now what really happed with ED GEIN and his victoms.

Posted by: britany wood at July 5, 2004 09:43 AM

I think he is real i look at a web page and it said he would be a bout fifty yrs old i thing its benny makindo

Posted by: Trenae at July 5, 2004 11:09 AM

i like eating a savaloy sausage

Posted by: Anonymous at July 8, 2004 12:30 PM

I SAW THIS MOVIE IT WAS SO COOL ,MY SISTERS WERE SCARED OF THE TEXAS CHAINSAW THAT EVERY NIGHT THEY THOUGHT THE TEXAS CHAINSAW WAS HIDDING IN THE CLOSET.. I JUST LAUGH AND LAUGH WHEN THEY HAERD THE CHAINSAW THEY GOT SCARED THE MOVIE WASEN'T SCARY.

Posted by: G-UNIT KING at October 10, 2004 01:12 AM

i what to know WHAT really happen.Because I`ve searched and searched but nothing. Some say there was a texas chainsaw massacre and others say it was just inspired by Ed Gein. So please some one tell me, its driving me crazy i mean i really want to know.

Posted by: Stephany at October 22, 2004 04:45 AM

im from texas my self and was realy wondering if it really happened.and if it did they never cought the guy,right?so he could still be here in texas.to freaked out to say more.

Posted by: samantha at October 31, 2004 10:14 AM

for godsake people!!! there was no texas chainsaw murders... its a movie and there in nothing real about it, the guy wore skin masks... just like Ed Gein, thats all.. its like saying that Lake placid is based on real events because a big croc killed some people in a lake somewhere in the U.S... the Ed gein crimes where gruesome for the real world but he would look like a granny compared to any killer from a movie... hell.. he would look like a granny if compared to the crazy talibans or the spanish inquisition (and they were real)

Posted by: infyrana at November 1, 2004 12:55 PM

Ok, I now live in Tarrant County Tx but we are from Travis County. This all happened in 1973, the year I was born. My mom is a reporter and has about a hundred whole newspaperss from this date. There really was a nut named Thomas Hewitt that was a mass murderer in Travis. In these papers...it starts with a dispatch call from that night the next paper is an article of the bodies found in the house, the next is pics of the house and the scene ect... Sorry to bust yalls Ed Geins theory!!!!!!!In these papers are SEVERAL pics of of the scene, family, theres even a list of some of the peoples bodies that were identified.

Posted by: tricia at November 22, 2004 04:55 AM

leatherface was a real person and he did not get his cut off like in the movie.

Posted by: tommy at December 12, 2004 04:43 AM

Hey i love the movie bye

Posted by: Tanya at February 22, 2005 08:18 PM

infyrana ur full of shit i have lived in texas my hole life and have actually looked into this hole TCM thing and have actually read an article from toby hooper saying its not a true story he got the idea for leather face from ed gein and the hole chain saw thing from when he was standing in line at a shopping center during a christmass rush and saw some chainsaws and thought it would be cool to just cut every one down and get through all the people and get the fuck out of the store faster

Posted by: A-FArmy at February 28, 2005 01:48 AM

this is all real it happen and i actully found evidence my friend and i went to texas were it all happen and we found something very strange it is a pieace of a face

Posted by: master at March 9, 2005 07:57 PM

but hes dead so dont get scared i think he died like 3 year sago

Posted by: Titty at March 15, 2005 09:23 PM

this is for A-Farmy....if ur guuna believe that it is a shit story than ur just retarted...i have scene atual footage of thomas hewitt who is the chain saw killer and ed geines is the copy cat of leatherface....Thomas hewitt was a 13 yr old kid who ended up with a skin condition and was made fun of because of it and went psyhco along with his family who gladly help kill too...and they say that they have found more evidence of 1990 killings too..to u dont know shit..and he probably isnt dead because he was to smart to be killed or let himself die..he is around 70 or 80 plus some of his family has to be alive and is probably killing somewhere else by now...

Posted by: Ashley at March 31, 2005 12:14 AM

Ashly he didnt have a skin condition! he was a gay guy who wanted to be a girl so he made female suits and face masks out of skin. but no skin condition he waas just a big homo just like you ashly!

Posted by: boperdude! at April 7, 2005 02:36 PM

I have just been researching for a while now and I found outthat The guy in the movie was based on Ed Gein But the only simalarity was that he was a murderer and he wore skin on his face. But it was only womans skin because he was a gay transvestite who worshiped his dead mom

Posted by: Chickens are COOL at April 8, 2005 12:16 PM

Not all transvestites are gay, nor are all gays transvestites. I'm not, for example. But I digress...

As far as I can tell, the story is loosely based on Ed Gein. For those who say it's a seperate story, can you point me somewhere on the web I can verify the story?

Posted by: Steve Foxx at April 9, 2005 11:40 PM

i have read about the Ed Gien story and i was wondering if those who support the thomas hewwit story would be able to provide some web pages or address that i could take a look at please i would be interested in reading about him

Posted by: tamara at April 11, 2005 01:27 AM

ppl, but like... the texas chainsaw massacre wuz real.. i kno that.. i think.. wuznt it?? if it wuz i cant find neinfo on it. which is annoying bcuz i want to.. im gonna ask my gramma lol she'll kno if it wuz on the news.

Posted by: jaime at April 13, 2005 09:50 PM

Can anyone tell me if Van Zandt and Travis County are real places? was the film made in those places? and were the buildings in the film real or just man-made props?

Posted by: Kevin at April 19, 2005 01:12 AM

sup yall...i really wanna believe the TCM but i keep on hearin bout diz homo, Ed. so if yall gotts answers AND proof ta bak u up, lemme kno sumthin...o yeah, n i really liked tha movie
holla bak @ me, molina

Posted by: molina at April 20, 2005 07:49 PM

i like cheese

Posted by: batman at April 22, 2005 02:09 PM

Can anyone tell me if Van Zandt and Travis County are real places? was the film made in those places and were the buildings in the film real or just man-made props?

Posted by: Kevin at April 23, 2005 08:30 PM

Yo Peeps i reely REELY wanna belive in the TCM But i keep on hearin' 'bout this hobo Ed Gein. I Searched The Web And Accually Found Cold Hard Evidence That The Leatherface(a.k.a. Thomas Hewitt)Is accually Real!!!Y'all Gotta Chek it out...I Found A Part On EXIBIT at a MUSIUM Its A Real Part Of A Mask that Thomas Hewitt whore...It Was A Face wit Stiches(Real Persion Face)And It was Stretched out anyway y'all gotta chek it out ByeZZZZZ!!!Freddy vs Jason 2 iz commin ByeZZZ!

Posted by: Jason Beat's Freddy! at April 25, 2005 05:30 PM

This is true because the man o3rjgnv;bjvefogbfouqbkl;jrgtou13;rgtvebk;f

Posted by: Bill bradley at April 26, 2005 05:07 PM

Can anyone tell me if Van Zandt and Travis County are real places? was the film made in those places and were the buildings in the film real or man made-props?

Posted by: Kevin at April 27, 2005 01:26 AM

Hi, I live in the Travis County area and I heard rumors about the house where it happend is still standing. I was wondering if it is ture. I am very interested in this piece of histoy. I live probebly live maybe 20 or 30 minutes the most form the place that it happend. I wanted to take a picture of the house if it still stands today.

Posted by: Jessica Pullin at April 29, 2005 12:32 PM

Can anyone tell me if Van Zandt and Travis County are real places? was the film made in those places? and were the buildings in the film real or man made-props?

Posted by: Kevin at April 29, 2005 10:22 PM

ok.....
As Of now, I have no real evidence that the TCM really happened! The only Evidence I cant find is on Ed Gein. He killed 2 older woman, and robbed graves to make woman body parts for himself.
I still do beleive that the TCM really happned, and I am going to find out the real truth!

Posted by: CrazyPimP at May 6, 2005 05:33 PM

I always like watching horror movies until I saw the texas chainsaw massacre. I was very scared at first because i never thought in a millions years there will be something like this on earth last year i went to texas just to see if it was real or not well i thought wrong what me and my father saw was so gorey. i saw the house he lives in.I can tell people went in that house and never came out because there were like ten cars parked outide at the house.In those cars were diffrent things like suitcases and empty cups old antic thigs at first i thougt someone just tryin to pull peoples leg.As i got futher to the house the crepper it got then heard noise like someone was scrapping a key on a car so i stopped.then next thing i saw was silver earring on the ground.Then i know for sure that i heard a chainsaw i stopped and ran back to the street.BELIVE OR NOT!!!!!!!

Posted by: twila at May 15, 2005 10:32 AM

I always like watching horror movies until I saw the texas chainsaw massacre. I was very scared at first because i never thought in a millions years there will be something like this on earth last year i went to texas just to see if it was real or not well i thought wrong what me and my father saw was so gorey. i saw the house he lives in.I can tell people went in that house and never came out because there were like ten cars parked outide at the house.In those cars were diffrent things like suitcases and empty cups old antic thigs at first i thougt someone just tryin to pull peoples leg.As i got futher to the house the crepper it got then heard noiseES like someone was scrapping a key on a car so i stopped.then the next thing i saw was a silver earring on the ground.Then i know for sure that i heard a chainsaw i stopped and ran back to the street.BELIVE OR NOT!!!!!!!

Posted by: twila at May 15, 2005 10:35 AM

first of all i don't give a shit about him.Lets all go down there and kick his leather white ass. if i ever see that fucker he will die. he is a pyscho freak man. we should bomb him. fuck him and his family!!!

Posted by: rebels at May 27, 2005 01:22 AM

kill that rat bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: keith furlong at May 27, 2005 01:27 AM

i think that it realy happend b/c i saw real evidence....like his mask and people's bones and stuff....but i think that he's dead by know so ...noone can kick his fugly ass... i know that u didn't hear a chainsaw so stop lyin...b/c the house has been nocked down... and before that it was vacant... so stop lyin... o yeah and one last thing twila... u didn't hear no chainsaw and u didn't go to the house b/c it's not there so stop lyin... u loser

Posted by: ducky at June 5, 2005 12:04 AM

ducky, your wrong keith is not lyin, the real house that the massacre had taken place is still standing as ive seen it for myself and im assumin others have too i did infact feel a bit of a haunting feeling when i was ther i did not enter the house at the time i was young and the porch was rotting away and i felt if i walked up on the porch and my foot went thru the wood i would have problems leaving the house so i refused the other friend that was with me heard noises, i didnt hear anything.. he wanted to leave as soon as we walked up to the house and told me he was going to leave me ther if i didnt leave with him so we both left, i dont think anyones living ther we threw a few stones at the house and noone appeared so i believe it is vacant and timothy hewitt has either died or stopped killing, i did however manage to get 3 good photos of the house if you want copies of them send me your email and ill send them i feel the 2003 version of tcm shows a very close display of the house... i do believe keith stretched his story alittle by stating he indeed heard engine noises although when someone such as keith and my friend stands before a house that a crazed killer had lived things seem a little confusing, i have no intentions viewing the house even if it was for sale lol anyways be safe and carry the appropriate weopons if you do indeed plan on going ther...

Posted by: duntill at June 5, 2005 04:41 PM

quit playin you didnt go ther i want photos damnit send them 2 hollandlight88@aol.com please!!

Posted by: drinkbeerandlivelong at June 5, 2005 05:01 PM

oh my god thats insane that house looks scary as hell, i think you should post the pics on the web somewher so everyone can see yanno i wanna go to the hoouse just to view the inside and the basement anyyway thanks for the great pics.

Posted by: drinkbeerandlivelong at June 5, 2005 09:24 PM

your welcome, i also wanted to state that as most of you already know the case remains open to this day and the house will never be torn down due to the case not being closed and i believe one can still view at any givin time or day...

Posted by: duntill at June 5, 2005 09:33 PM

Duntill, are you really serious about that being true and all. Please show me some proof or pictures of something. I can help you browse to find stuff, too. Thanks.

Posted by: Kevin at June 5, 2005 10:31 PM

Kevin, thats correct what duntill is sating is facts!!! go to Travis County Texas. gl, mike

Posted by: MilkitMike at June 8, 2005 12:30 AM

Has anyone actually been in the Hewitt House or to Travis County Texas? Write back anyone. Is there really an Old Crawford Mill or that Gas Station in real life.

Posted by: Kevin at June 8, 2005 04:05 PM

I was wondering why they call it the texas chainsaw massacure if first of all it didnt even happen in texas and there was no chainsaw involved and he only killed 2 ppl and the movie said 5 teens...im confused

Posted by: Jennifer at June 9, 2005 05:17 PM

Jennifer, what you stated what true and in fact there was a Ed Gein that did slauter two humans but the Texas Cahinsaw Massacre movie (2003) was in fact real in parts. The Hewitt house in the movie in real and there was a serial killer named Thomas Hewitt. Everything that happen in the movie (Old Crawford Mill, Gas Station, and ect.) are still standing in Travis County today because the case is still open. You should take a look at the pictures of the real house. The movie in the beginning was real to and it was a an ACCOUNT of what happend in real life. There are sick people out there. But back to your question, there is two story behind TCM. Actually, Ed Gein based alot of movies off himself. Ect, The Silence of the Lambs, TCM, and Physco.

Posted by: Kevin at June 9, 2005 05:47 PM

My freinds dad had an encounter with leatherface himself!! He was driving his pickup through travis county on business. he almost died!!!!

Posted by: Ken at June 9, 2005 05:47 PM

It was weird!!!!

Posted by: Ken at June 9, 2005 05:49 PM

ken really was it rated r

Posted by: milkitmike at June 10, 2005 12:20 AM

Duntill, if you will, send those pictures of the Hewitt House to me at 08payonkk@clearfield.org

Posted by: Kevin at June 10, 2005 08:40 AM

I am not getting this i just started my "looking up" I am really into this stuff..Ed Gien love'd his mom right. he lived in wis, and I want to know why he went "mental" after his mom had died. I know the movie TCM is not real. he did'nt even us ea chainsaw to kill any of his vics' "the two old ladys"..and people keep showing me the same pic of him. I wan't more!! =/ I already know all about him and his mom. he wanted more of a relationship with her. he wanted to marry her pretty much. he was sick minded. and did he really die from Natural stuff?..if you know any of this show me the info. e-mail me at lovely_angel_2die4@hotmail.com yeah and anyone else who has anything e-mail it to me!

Posted by: Maxine at June 10, 2005 05:01 PM

I think he may still be alive. He was probaly the most unusual killers ever.

Posted by: Evan at June 12, 2005 01:55 AM

i think you suck

Posted by: lizz at June 16, 2005 12:26 AM

i DONT KNOW IF THERE IS A CRAWFORD MILL OR HEWITT
HOUSE BUT, SOME PEOPLE SAY THERE IS. WELL YOU'LL
HAVE TO FIND OUT YOUR SELF

Posted by: MELISSA at June 23, 2005 09:38 PM

the texas chainsaw massacre is very much so real no matter how un real you may think it may be i have news paper clipping's that prove it is true my stepbrother lived in texas when it happened his father was a officer at the time the murders happened the first movie with sally hardesty is pretty much true and they never really new why someone would do the thing's that was done to those poor people they had to have been really sick in the head but it is true i have proof and if anyone else does or has anypictures send them to bedeneice@aol.com

Posted by: deneice at June 28, 2005 05:38 PM

I live about an hour from were this happened and I know for a fact it happened because the house still stands were it did in 1973. People who don't believe should feel bad especially for the people's family who died that day.

Posted by: crystal at July 12, 2005 09:28 PM

umm, okay... now i just saw the movie like 3 days ago or sumthing. I think most of it is true (besides the chainsaw part... theres no real evidence of the chainsaw) i want hard proof of it all... and if you have pictures of the house or anything that you can proove... send them to lilnsaneshortee@hotmail.com

Posted by: Julia at July 17, 2005 05:12 PM

if ed gein is the texas chainsaw massacre then who is thomas hewwit

Posted by: Baffour at July 17, 2005 11:10 PM

I believe that this is true. My mother, her parents and siblings were staying in Texas when this happened. She does not have any newspapers for proof, but I know that she (and the rest of the family)would not lie about something this serious

Posted by: Jen at July 19, 2005 11:10 PM

I actually think that Thomas Hewitt is the texas chainsaw massacre, i mean i'm not trying to say anyone is wrong you believe what you believe but at the end of the newer version of the texas chainsaw massacre it does show a tape, and the tape shows the house of the Hewitt family, and a sheriff had gone into the house, and saw the piano and everything, then the next minute all you see is Thomas Hewitt's "Leatherface"'s face its not that hard to believe, my uncle has lived in texas hi whole life, and i remember him telling me about what had happened because he was there!!!

Posted by: Taylor at July 22, 2005 12:48 AM

Hey peeps could one of you guys send me some picts... if you have some, send um to chick_pimp_13@yahoo.com my uncle was there and im VERY interested in the TCM!!! PLEASE SEND ME SOME PICTURES!

Posted by: Taylor at July 22, 2005 01:07 AM

Where did the killings take place??

Posted by: Ashley at July 23, 2005 10:25 AM

I been looking up information, also i know the movie was half true any ways, remember the beginning of movie where it showed real evidence of black and white pics ,how 2 police man went in this house and it showed actural fingernail marks going on sides of the concret walls and tub with hook then guess what the two police officers that went in there got killed by a guy that lived in that home in travis,texas.so i do believe some, i would like to see some kind of pictures iam into true stories this one bad, thank you dedee45801@yahoo.com

Posted by: Amy at July 23, 2005 06:03 PM

I saw the TCM-movie today and the whole TCM-thing really started to interest me. I'm from Finland so I really don't know much about it! I've been reading this page thrue for a while and the name "Ed Gain" has come out many times. Who was the serialkiller anyway? Thomas Hewitt? Ed Gain? whaat :D

Posted by: sra at July 24, 2005 05:06 AM

I need all the information you can givme, cuz my uncle was THERE!!!, and he never back.

Posted by: faby at July 25, 2005 10:29 PM

its not true

Posted by: leighann at July 27, 2005 01:49 PM

okay, i have found out ALOT of information on this TCM subject and all... TCM is loosly but mostly based on Ed Gein and Ed was a guy that shot 2 women and dug up a couple of womens graves and he skinned them and wore their skin over him (complete with breasts and female genitals)... as for Thomas Hewitt, i still dont know much about if its all real or not and i do not know if he skinned people or not... although i am very close to believing that he is just some character that the director thought up... but you have to remember that they have FOOTAGE of the police going through his basement... but, that is all i know about this TCM movie... oh, and although chainsaws HAVE been used to murder(very rarely), both Ed Gein and Thomas Hewitt NEVER used the chainsaw to murder any victims... So really its just a Texas Massacre(maybe even not a massacre). All of this that i have said is just here to inform those that dont know the true facts of it all... If you want to know more about Ed Gein, heres a site to read up on http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/texaschainsaw.php

Posted by: sam at August 1, 2005 01:35 AM

does anyone know what kind on skin condition he had? i know that its some kind of skin cancer but i cant find out the name of the disease anywhere. and im not sure but i think that there really was a thomas hewitt who killed a bunch of people, i found some newspapers from 1974 i think it was and it stod something about the horrors of the hewitt house and the numbers of people that they found..

Posted by: Dadda at August 4, 2005 11:37 AM

hey everyone!
i soooooo believe in the TCM and if u hav ne pics or ne info could u plz send em 2 baby29_6@hotmail.com
i realy hope 2 go 2 texas 1 day so could sum pplz plz tell me where the house is and everythin!
thnx!
luv ya chainsaw massacre fans!
P.S. i cant get ova how the TCM woz real and he tortured those pplz! i was also wonderin ifthat guy that got hung on the hook in the movie like did the cops find a guy hanging on the hook? could sum1 help me?
xoxo...

Posted by: miranda at August 7, 2005 05:16 AM

What kind of skin condition did he have (in the movie)?

Posted by: Leatherface at August 7, 2005 01:35 PM

i think it was real did u see the police video after seeing the new version of the texas chainsaw massacre. it look real so i think it is real

Posted by: vicki at August 15, 2005 02:19 PM

ayer pude ver la pelicula, y en realidad es muy dificil pensar que algo asi pueda suceder. sin embargo creo que la masacre en texas es una novela, donde el autor crea un perfil de asesino sicopata con el perfil de varios asesinos, es decir crea a thomas hewitt, con el perfil de ed gein y tal vez otros asesinos, elaborando una especie de leyenda urbana al dejar libre a su asesino en la novela.

Posted by: hector at August 17, 2005 10:26 AM

he he he

Posted by: BB at August 17, 2005 01:44 PM

The account is true. If you start a search at Altavista (the search engine) and the scroll down you find a website by the name of texas chainsaw massacre.net. This website is basicly an official site. This website has pictures of the house, gas station/BBQ stop, and alot of info.
This website was started by a friend of Tobe Hooper (the man who "wrote" the movie. Other than that: the sites are real, peoples firsthand accounts are real (including countless highschoolers going up to the house at night in the 70's). LET ME ASK YOU GUYS A QUESTION: Why would people be building a highway over most if not all of that deranged family's property? Why would the family move the house in 7 pieces to a huge piece of property behind the gas station (which is also in the movie) and turn it into a BBQ restaraunt and an inn called The Antler Inn?

Posted by: BB at August 17, 2005 02:07 PM

Q. Was Thomas Hewitt a Real Person?
Movies Made in Austin

From Jacci Howard Bear,
Your Guide to Austin, TX.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Thomas Hewitt, also known as Leatherface, was the chainsaw-wielding villain of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre series of movies that were filmed in and around Austin. But was he also a real person?
A.

Thomas Hewitt AKA Leatherface is a fictional character. However, the Thomas Hewitt character is very loosely tied to the actions of Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein.

gh bits of the life and crimes of Ed Gein are seen in Thomas Hewitt, Hewitt is a fictional character from a movie - not a real person. And the events of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre are a work of fiction as well, not a true story.

this came from:about.com
you guys can enjoy the disappointing fact that the tcm is not a true story. DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE OR HEAR!!!

Posted by: jenni at August 18, 2005 11:49 PM

What I have heard about the TCM being true is that a girl really was found "blood caked" along side of the road on 8/18/73. She babbled the tale that the beginning of the movies talk about and did sink into a catatonic state. No one but her knows exactly what did happen on that day other than the fact that her friends were never seen again. The movie depicts the sereial killer Ed Gein. So in a way it did happen but didn't happen if that makes any sense.

Posted by: Jason Fitzgerald at August 19, 2005 09:50 AM

I have been a horror film freak as long as I can remember! I know that most times if at all the movie is based upon a serial killer or psycho somewhere....I would like nothing more than to say it is all true but evidence shows the movie is based on Ed Gein....however lets just say for kicks that the TCM is real. Would they hide these facts to keep us safe? Who is hiding the facts and what are they keeping us safe from? The movie is never exactly the same... they say it was 5 young teens....so we can safely bet it was 2. Just like Ed Gein in Wisconsin. Also the movie was based in Texas... Just like in any good fiction film they are going to want to respond to people in home towns. For example Halloween in Haddonfield Illinois. However one of the directors was from a small town in New Jersey called Haddonfield! They want you to believe it is real and that it could really happen to you....thats the whole idea to make a movie scary.....anyhow like I said it is based on some events of Ed Gein however the rest is all from the mind of a writter!But for all us Horror freaks in our hearts the truth is still untold!!!!!

Posted by: misty at August 23, 2005 12:05 AM

I have been a horror film freak as long as I can remember.....And know this most scary movies if at all are based on real events real killers and real victums...as much as I would like to believe that the TCM is based on real killings in Texas the hard truth is that it is Based on the Ed Gein story. Or at least parts! OKie lets look at the facts...if the movie states there were 5 young youths then you can safely say there were only 2. And if they wanted it to be scary they are going to make it based in a home town a little one! Example Haddonfield was the hometown of Michael myers but the Director Derbra Hill was actually from Haddonfield New Jersey! Makes it scary for those small town people right? Sure! The fact is they wanted to sale seats and they did it the right way by taking parts of a true story and bringing it to the next level the level where it is made true ...and it could happen to you!

Posted by: misty at August 23, 2005 07:16 PM

Yes, I dont get that also. What kind of skin desease does he have in the movie the texas chainsaw massacre that was made now in 2003.

Posted by: lp at August 27, 2005 06:31 AM

in my opinion Jacci Howard Bear is saying something false Thommy Hewitt was the real murder and ed gein is the killer of another case!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Andre9000 at August 27, 2005 03:35 PM

andre9000 what a dumb thought, were you ther? here ill answer for you NO, are you a agent (fbi, cia, or jus a cop) here ill answer your question NO your jus person adding ther dumb 2 cents that doesnot belong here dumbA$$ you dont even know, you think the government would want leaking info that this tcm is non-fiction?

Posted by: MilkitMike at August 28, 2005 05:09 PM

i do think he is a real killer and i do think he is still alive...... somewhere..........

Posted by: stephanie at September 1, 2005 04:29 PM

ed gein was a really sick person i mean if leatherface is based on him then how come ed gein never had a chainsaw? or i think he didnt on the movies leather face kills about 50 people but ed gein killed 2 girls now i think that is being overegsadurated if he's alive he'll be about 99 so i think hes rottin in hell the bastard... he dug up people and used them as clothes made of human skin. my freinds said today that texas chainsaw massacre was based on a real person called thomas hewitt i just freaked out and sed holy shit. im sure that ed gein is dead and rotting in hell but i also beleive that thomas hewitt exists does anyone agree?

Posted by: AIDAN BOZZAY at September 8, 2005 04:04 PM

I also think thomas was a real person who killed all those people cuz on the movie track it says : based on a true story and it also says that on the official website.

Posted by: Slipknot_ Japanese at September 9, 2005 07:39 AM

Yeh well if the original crime never happened then what is the so-called "real footage" they play of the cops walking throught the basement at the end of the 2003 movie, and the image of leatherface they say "this is the only known image of Thomas Hewitt" etc. etc. they make it out to be all too real if its really a load of bullshit, there must have been a Thomas Hewitt.

Posted by: court at September 12, 2005 02:58 AM

hi leatherface and ed gien are neat but the movies scream and friday the thirteenth are based on true stories. friday the 13th 1 is the only factucal one.

Posted by: arminox at September 13, 2005 02:36 PM

if you think this is a real history.............. Why Tobe Hooper says is just based loosely on Ed Gein?

Posted by: johny at September 15, 2005 08:52 AM

I think it is real there is actually a travis county, texas. And there are a bunch of crazy ones in that area.

Posted by: kelli at September 16, 2005 06:07 AM

hey this is daniel please send me some pics at mskahuna@earthlink.net

Posted by: DANIEL at October 3, 2005 09:06 PM

heyas ryt i just watched da 2003 make v TCM n omg its sooooo sad!!and i wanna no like is it true coz any of yall hu watchd da 2003 version yall remember at da end wher ders dat footage v da 2 reporters goin in 2 da house and dey get attacked n da narator guy dats talkin is like"and desde 2 men wer fataly injured n dis is da only physical bla bla of ur man hewitt!!"is dat bs den??damn n i thot it was al real!im just wonderin n what bout dose 3 teens dat wer supposedly killd wat were der names n dat n da main girl wats her name if any of yaz no keep me posted peace out.....!xkimx

Posted by: KiNkZ at October 6, 2005 07:42 AM

i just ran across this weblog and i am very interested in the texas chainsaw massacre. this summer i am supposed to be going on a vacation and my grandparents will be passing through texas and we thought about stopping in travis county to see if the house and murders are true. is this all just a hoax, or is it worth stopping to see? if anyone has pictures of the house i would love to see some. send them to LLY@rock.com

Posted by: lauren at October 6, 2005 08:59 PM

this is the story, Ed gein murders were so psychotic, that movies were made LOOSELY based on, like chainsaw mass, psycho n a character in silence of the lambs. Thomas Hewitt (the chainsaw guy) is fictional NOT REAL. all that was based on ed gein was the wearing of masks, and furniture made outta bodies. thats it. no reporters died or crap like that, he was caught and died at the age of 77 due to respiratory and heart failure. hope that answers that...

Posted by: vikz uk at October 11, 2005 07:31 AM

ok you guys are all fucking retards it is a true story. it didnt hapen like the movie portrayed it. the killers name is tomhas hewitt leatherface it is his actual name. the murders happend in travis count about. by the old crawfords mill and a gas station. it happend in 1974 leather face was about 29 but he had a skin dieseas thats why he always made masks from the victims face. he is dead now the case is still open to any officer that has the fucking balls but hey none of them will take it because cops are fuckig pussies and if you dont belive me then get the adress to the house and go down there this summer i have been there once and snuk into the house and yes there are still the tools he usedd to kill and disimbodie his victims and there are still corpses down there and plus ed gein was the copy cat of buffalo bill you fucking dickwads if you want to get back to me then my email is jas.blankenship@mchsi.com

Posted by: Jason Blankship at October 13, 2005 10:14 PM

this event in history was real no matter what all of the other people have to say. I just wish that i could find some actual footage of the real crimescene.

Posted by: slipknot 10 at October 19, 2005 09:21 PM

What highway exactly did this take place on?

Posted by: Joei Bailey at October 25, 2005 02:12 PM

HEY I WANT TO KNOW WHERE ICAN GET SUM PICTURE OF ED GIEN WITH AND WITHOUT THE MASK.

Posted by: JASMINE at October 25, 2005 03:01 PM

send me some real pictures of true evidence that leather face is real

Posted by: brando at October 30, 2005 04:35 PM

I think this man is a fucking sick twisted bastard!

Posted by: gemma at December 3, 2005 04:29 PM

most of you have little bits of the story right... there was no "real" chainsaw massacre... it was based on ed gein... have a read here. http://chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/texaschainsaw.php
also buffalo bill was based on ed gein also not the other way round!

Posted by: suz at December 4, 2005 09:56 AM